Following these steps will ensure a quality, professional report is created in as little time as possible, whether you are compiling the report on site or at the office.
Before completing your first report, see Preparing Report Materials for more information on the materials needed to complete the report. Also, check our help file topics under 'General Program Settings' for information on setting up your program defaults. The method for completing the report will differ depending on whether the report is completed on site or if the inspector uses the worksheets provided. Suggestions are offered below for both scenarios.
Using the worksheet templates:
1. If using the worksheets provided, the inspector tours the home, completing the necessary portions of the worksheet and adding additional comments where required. If pictures are taken, the picture number should be noted in the related section so that the pictures can be properly inserted when the report is created. It is recommended that a picture of the home be taken (usually the view from the road) to add to the cover sheet.
2. After completing the work sheet and returning to the vehicle or office, the inspector should first open the cover sheet template and add the picture of the home. Add the address to this cover sheet and print at high resolution.
3. Start the inspection report wizard and follow the easy steps to creating the report, using the worksheets as a guide. You can use the 'Preview' button to check the comments entered for that section so far and edit them where required. Each section can be printed by clicking the Write button while proceeding through the wizard, or the the inspector can enter information in each section form then go back and write the sections when ready.
4. If you are using the summary report as well, comments (observations) added as you completed each section are automatically added to the summary by default, or you can choose to use only the manually added comments. (see Creating a Summary Report for more information).
5. Once all sections of the report are complete, the document should be ready for your client. Proof-read the document and add any photos as needed (see Adding Images to the Report for more info). The completed report is now a MS Word document that can be edited as a typical Word document, or you can use our editing tools (see Editing the Report for more info). The document can also be converted to a PDF format for distribution by email or uploading to your website for download.
1. After setting up the equipment on site, the inspector proceeds with the inspection. To make the inspection process easier when using the wizard, the inspector can choose to re-order both the report sections and the order in which the forms appear by setting their preferences on the Report Template Editor form. Read the Report Template Settings section for further information on this topic.
2. You can use the 'Preview' button to check the comments entered for that section so far and edit them where required. If using the wizard, each section can be printed by clicking the Write button while proceeding through the sections, or the the inspector can enter information in each section form then go back and print the sections when ready.
3. To complete the report, read the Finishing the report section below for further instructions.
Finishing the report:
1. When the wizard is completed or all required sections are entered, read the document carefully and make any required changes to text or formatting such as additional paragraph breaks. Add any images and adjust any images by dragging or resizing if necessary (see Adding images to the report for more information).
2. The report will be already complete according to the program settings that have been configured, but changes to the report can be made using the tools available on the 'Edit Report' menu/toolbar (see Editing the Report for more info on this topic). Also, for more information on tools to personalize your reports see Customizing Reports.
3. The document will now be ready for converting to a PDF for emailing or uploading or printing if required. If you prefer to distribute your reports by printing, use a Cerlox binding machine, punch out the holes for the binding comb. Gather the pages, front and back cover together and bind together. Slip the report in your envelope and deliver or mail the report.
Adding images to the report
Creating a Summary Report
Preparing Report Materials
Using the Report Wizard
PDF Report Hosting
Editing the Report